Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day 14 -- June 4

Today, we had an excursion in another coastal town called Sitges. We had to be at the bus stop at 10:30, we left at 10:45 and our first stop was to see how cava was made at a place called Codorniu (remember, cava is Spanish champagne) at 11:30. We watched a short film on the beginnings of Codorniu, looked a little in the museum, and then were taken to the underground cellars to learn how they used to make the cava. The underground cellars had a capacity of holding up to 100 million cava bottles, but she said that it was never at full capacity. We took a train through 1st floor just to be able to see it all. The cellars were so huge that they had “street names” in front of the aisles because of the possibility of getting lost. After seeing all of the bottles, we were taken to a tasting room where we got to try two different types of cava: pinot noir and gran plus ultra. They were both dry wines, but gran plus ultra was the driest they sold so I definitely like the pinot noir more.
                After the cava-tasting, we drove about 30 minutes to Sitges, and almost everyone went down to the beaches. I was really hungry, but Rafaela put imitation crab meat in our salads and I am very picky about the type of seafood I’ll eat. I love crab meat, but I love it when it’s from a seafood restaurant J I appreciate her creativity though! So needless to say, after about an hour I was really hungry and decided to go to grab a hamburger at the restaurant that was on the beach (remember that I said “on the beach” not beside it, or a quick walk from it, but literally right off of the sand). The restaurant only had seating outside and a counter inside (which I assumed was for to-go orders) so I walked over in my bathing suit to order a cheeseburger. I realized I didn’t think I was supposed to be inside so I stood outside at an empty table by the door, and the waiter came over to take my order. As soon as he left, the lady beside me started saying something (I’m pretty sure she was telling me to put a shirt on) but I was so flustered by her rudeness that I couldn’t understand what she was saying. And then another lady, her friend I guess, started telling me I was rude and going on and on so I walked to the sand while my friends grabbed the burger for me. She must have told the waiter something really awful about me, because my burger was purple and looked like goat brains. Okay, so I’ve never seen goat brains, but if I had to imagine what they looked like this hamburger would be right on. I ate like 2 bites until I was too grossed out and I had to throw it away. A few friends and I went walking along the beach and came across some interesting sights, as expected on any beach in Spain.
              Around 5:30 we left for Barcelona, and when I got home my stomach had a pretty bad pain in it (I’m assuming from the goat brains). I told Rafaela that I didn’t feel well, but she told me that it wouldn’t be from the hamburger – she is a stubborn old lady, gotta love her. I only put a small portion of fish and green beans on my plate, but I had to force down the last couple of bites and then immediately had to leave the table because I thought I’d be sick. I took an hour nap and then felt a lot better, so I left to go hang out with some friends. It was a really fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment